It is important for teachers to know about the legal requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act (1992) and the Education Standards (2005). These two pieces of legislation are Commonwealth laws and they outline the legal requirements for TAFE institutes and staff.
Like any legislation, they are complex; however, it is possible to give you some idea of how these are applicable to you as a teacher.
- What is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act?
- What areas are covered by the Education Standards?
- What things do teachers need to consider?
- Does this mean that a deaf student doesn’t have to meet the same standard as other students?
- Click here to download the FAQ Information Sheet: Understanding the Education Standards and Creating an Inclusive Classroom