Anthony Schulz teaches in the music program of the Performing Arts Department
Anthony Schulz - Teacher - Piano / Piano Accordion
ARIA award winning musician Anthony Schulz is one of the foremost accordion players in Australia. His distinctive accordion style and interpretations make him instantly recognisable in all fields of music. His playing, while being true to its roots in the traditional genres including Berlin Cabaret, Argentinian Tango, Folk and Brazilian music as well as Jazz, Rock and Classical music, is unmistakably contemporary and relevant.
He has established himself firmly as a contemporary composer and performer with his work in the cutting edge world music/jazz ensemble FROCK. Work with this ensemble has taken him on tours to Europe and Asia including the renowned Montreux Jazz Festival. In 2007, Anthony was awarded an ARIA for his work with Zulya and the Children of the Underground (Best World Music Album - Three Nights)
Anthony is recognised and much sought after in professional music circles and has performed with leading Australian and international artists and ensembles including Doug de Vries, Dave Samuels The Australian Pops Orchestra, the Victorian State Orchestra (Wozzeck), Barre Phillips, and with the multi award winning ensemble Zulya and the Children of the Underground. He has recorded for Paul Grabowski, Elena Kats-Chernin, Nichaud Fitzgibbon and Michelle Nicole. Anthony currently tours and performs with Zulya and the Children of the Underground, FROCK, Leigh Barker and the New Sheiks, and the free improvisation ensemble ANANKE.
Anthony has long held the view that there is an important link between performance and education in which he uses his own practice and personal/artistic research to inform his method of student development as an overarching philosophy. Anthony develops text and resources in conjunction with teaching theory, aural, improvisation and music performance at Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE.
Anthony’s performances have been described as, "... surprising, beautiful, somewhat mysterious music... often, simultaneously, ancient, modern, intricately constructed & improvisatory." (Doug Spencer, The Planet) and "Anthony Schulz stands out on accordion, with his sophisticated use of harmony and countermelody." (Rootsworld).
Masters of Music Performance (Research) - Victorian College of the Arts/Melbourne University (2010)
Graduate Diploma Of Education and Training (TAFE) – Hawthorn Institute of Education/Melbourne University (1996)
Bachelor of Music Performance/Improvisation – Victorian College of the Arts/Melbourne University (1995)
Zulya and the Children of the Underground.
(World) Arrangements and compositions contributed.
- The Waltz of Emptiness (2004- UAR, Australia/Westpark Music, Germany)
2005 National Film and Sound Archive Award for best World Music Album
- Three Nights (2007-UAR, Australia/Westpark Music, Germany)
2007 ARIA Award for best World Music Album
- Tales of Subliming (2010-Unstable Ape, Australia) Frock. (Jazz/Contemporary)
Compositions and arrangement contributed on all CDs.
- Caught Gesture (1998-Independent release)
- Tales of Olive Groves (2000-Newmarket, Australia) - Aria award nominee
- Splash (recorded in Germany ,2002-Newmarket, Australia)
- Degustation (2004-Vorticity,Australia)
- Decadence: Frock, Live at the Lane (2007-Independent release)
- The Father, Son and Holy Ghost. (2009-ABC, Australia)
- Apogee. (2012-Independent release, Australia)
Exploration of Free Improvisation and use of the Greek fishing song form.
- Anomie (2002-Independent release)
- Eurotrash Taksim (2004-Independent release)
- Spoke quietly, amongst themselves (2006-Independent release)
- Maps for losing oneself (2008-Independent release)
- Ananke (2011-Independent release)
Doug DeVries. (World/Brazilian)
- A Knot in the Wood (2002-editions_ddv, Australia)
Jenny M Thomas. (Folk)
Contemporary arrangements of Australian folk songs.
- Farewell to Old England Forever (2006-Black Market Music, Australia)
2007 Golden Fiddle Award, Tamworth Country Music Festival
Not This Not That. (Jazz)
- All This For That (2008-Downstream, Australia)
Anita Hustas Trio. (Jazz)
- Live at BMW Edge DVD (2005-Independent release)
- The Widower. (Film) (2005) Sound track conducted by Paul Grabowsky and composed by Elena Kats-Chernin.
- Nichaud Fitzgibbon. (Jazz)
Album title: After hours (2001-Bilarm Music, Australia)
- Jacqueline Gawler. (Jazz/Pop)
Album title: Ambrosia (2010-Independent release, Australia)
- Avatar. (Jazz)
Album title: Hands (2008-Avatar, Australia)
- FGHR. (Jazz) (with Leonard Grigoryan)
Album title: Going Home (2009-Which Way Music, Australia)
- Sime Nugent. (Pop)
Album title: Broke and Banned: Songs of Sime Nugent(2007-Independent release, Australia)