The Youth Unit is for early school leavers, young people needing further career direction, unemployed young people and those needing skills development and preparation for further study, training or work.
The Youth Unit offers programs in:
- English as a Second Language
- Literacy and Numeracy
- Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL)
- Introduction to Leadership for targeted groups of young people
The Youth Unit provides advice and services for young people including:
- Youth Connections Program assistance, vocational counselling, language (ESL) and transition to further education.
- education and training information and referral
The Youth Unit has well developed links with the local community and works collaboratively with:
- local government schools and training providers group training companies Job Network Providers
- community agencies
Courses are offered on a full-time or part-time basis at a range of campus locations in the northern region, including Preston, Collingwood, Greensborough, Epping and Heidelberg.
The programs and teaching practices within the Youth Unit support and promote the principles and practice of Australian democracy, including a commitment to:
- elected government
- the rule of law
- equal rights for all before the law
- freedom of religion
- freedom of speech and association
- the values of openness and tolerance
Youth Connections is funded by the Commonwealth of Australia as represented by the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations.
Youth Connections is an individual support program that assists young people to get back on track with their education and plan a pathway to further education, training and/or employment.
New reports published in March 2013:
- Banyule Nillumbik Under 16 project report (2012)
- Darebin Under 16 project report (2012) - Improving Education Engagement
- Hume Under 16 project report (2012) - Out of School - Out of Sight
- Whittlesea Under 16 project report (2012)
Background Information and previous reports:
- Making the Connection - Youth Connections Northern Region Brochure
- Report on educational disengagement of young people under 15 years of age in the Northern Region (March 2011) (PDF)
- U16: Invisible & Ineligible...The Moreland Under 16 Project (Nov 2011) (PDF)
Youth Unit, Building F,
Cnr. Bell St. and Waterdale Rd.
- Click here to email us
- 03 9269 8665