If you enjoy working with design, either of buildings or their interiors, you will be interested in these courses. They will give you an entry point to the building and design industries.
The courses will prepare you for these career areas:
- sales assistant within the interior design retail industry
- recommending interior decoration products and services to clients
- coordinating interior furnishings or finishes of domestic or commercial interiors
- team leader or project administrator with architects, builders or building designers
- project administrator of large building projects
- eventually running your own drafting office or working as a draftsperson
Skills and knowledge you will gain:
- performing measurements and calculations
- designing interior colour schemes
- communicating effectively with customers
- technical drawing
- decorating residential interiors
- occupational health and safety
- producing and preparing photo images and computer aided drawings
- identifying building materials and construction techniques
- business management
- specification writing
- occupational health and safety
- site survey analysis
- complying with codes and standards in residential buildings
- designing safe and sustainable buildings
- selecting construction materials
- managing architectural project administration
An introduction to the Advanced Diploma of Building Design course:
Available Courses (6)
Rise up in the world of design. Turn your dream of working for an architect, building designer or running your own building design firm into reality. A career in Building Design can be both creative and rewarding. This course will equip you with knowledge and skills to accomplish design, presentation and the documentation process for residential and commercial building projects.
The next step in building your future - use your eye for detail and perfection to boost your career in the building and construction industry by becoming building site inspector.
Make your successful career in surveying happen - build on your current building surveying skills to boost your career in the building and construction industry by becoming a building surveyor or inspector.
Decorate your future with interior skills - own your interior design business or use your consulting skills for high-end clients in the fascinating world of interiors - your love of aesthetically pleasing spaces and eye for detail will see you succeed with a career as a professional interior designer.
Blueprint your future - succeed in your own design retail business or work in a top interiors company - your love of aesthetically pleasing spaces and eye for detail will see you succeed with a career in interior design in a retail environment.
Design your perfect career. Use your current interior design skills to catapult you into the world of commercial interior design. Work for large corporate clients and prestigious customers to unleash your creative flair into their world.
Available Short Courses (3)
Learn basic to intermediate skills for the Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) software application ArchiCAD. Produce working drawings and digital models for architectural projects.
Have you ever wanted to make your own furniture? Whether a beginner or equipped with some woodworking knowledge, NMIT’s Furniture Making short course is the perfect start point. Develop and practice woodwork skills to produce basic items of furniture. Use hand tools and some power tools.
Prepares prospective students for entry into further Interior Decoration Certificate and Diploma courses. Topics include: freehand sketching; concept development; colour schemes; sample boards and more. Students compile a folio of work and are better able to assess their potential in the industry while gaining a real insight into interior decoration and design.