Health professionals need specialised support to deliver the best in hospital care. Health support workers provide assistance to medical and allied health professionals, and also work with clients while supervised.
Health support workers can work in:
- hospitals or community health facilities
- agencies that supply support services staff
Our courses train workers in a multi-skilled role, which enables them to explore work opportunities in any hospital in Australia.
You could find work as:
- food services assistants
- assistant in support of acute care patients
- ward support
- transporting patients
You will gain skills and knowledge in:
- apply first aid
- participate in occupational health and safety processes
- transporting clients
- interpret and apply medical terminology
- recognising healthy body systems in a health care context
- maintaining high standards of client service
- preparing and maintain beds
- assist with client movement
- following basic food safety practice
- working effectively with culturally diverse clients and co-workers
- comply with infection control policies and procedures
- perform general cleaning tasks
- deliver care services with a pallative approach
- communicate and work effectively in health
- support the care of clients
NMIT has fully equipped on-site practical rooms that provide students with the opportunity for skills development in a ‘real to life’ setting.
Available Courses (2)
Want to make a difference in the lives of people with disabilities? With NMIT’s Certificate IV in Disability you will gain foundational skills and knowledge to work in a valuable and empowering way with people with disabilities.
Want to work in Australia’s health sector? NMIT’s Certificate III in Health Services Assistance is the foundation for your career in Australia’s health industry. With this nationally recognised qualification you will gain the skills and knowledge to work in hospitals and healthcare settings around Australia.