If you enjoy practical and manual work, have good hand-eye coordination and are able to work neatly and accurately, have you considered wall and floor tiling as a career?
NMIT offers courses in wall and floor tiling at these levels:
Tilers lay tiles on internal and external walls and floors to provide finishes that are protective or decorative, or both.
The tiles can be made of many different materials, including:
Once you have a contractor’s licence, you have the option of either working for an employer or setting up your own small business.
- performing measurements and calculations
- occupational health and safety
- using hand and power tools, including tile-cutting tools
- reading and interpreting plans
- types of tiling adhesives
- preparing surfaces
- cleaning and polish tiles
- preparing and applying grout
- using spirit levels, squares and plumb lines
- attaching tiles to surfaces
- waterproofing wet areas
- using small plant and equipment
- operating an elevated work platform
- tiling decorative mosaics
- tiling pools and spas
- installing marble floors
- Michael Millar found the tiling apprenticeship to be a good way of entering a career as a tiling contractor.
Available Courses (3)
The Certificate II in Building and Construction (Wall and Floor Tiling) is offered as a pre-apprenticeship to local students through the Building Structures and Services Department. You will get the skills you need to work as a wall and floor tiler. Tilers lay tiles on internal and external walls and floors to provide finishes that are protective or decorative, or both. You will learn skills including: use of plant and power tools; preparing surfaces and laying tiles; and concreting.
This is an assessment and skill gap training course. The course is aimed at recognising suitably skilled waterproofing applicators that have the level of competence required by the industry. Where there are gaps in your skills or knowledge, you will get extra training at NMIT.
NMIT will give you the skills you need to complete an apprenticeship as a wall and floor tiler. Tilers lay tiles on internal and external walls and floors to provide finishes that are protective or decorative, or both. You will learn skills including: tiling decorative mosaics and installing marble floors.
Available Short Courses (1)
Designed to be ideal for the home renovator who wishes to learn more about wall and floor tiling. Topics include: types of tiles, styles and setting out, quantities, surface preparation, and cutting, laying and grouting.